City Clerk -Rosa G. Acosta
Tel: (510) 724-8928 - Fax: (510) 724-9826
- About the City Clerk's Office
- Municipal Elections & Voter Registration
- Form 700 - Statements of Economic Interest
- Form 801 - Gift to Agency Report
- Form 806 - Agency Report of Public Official Appointments
- Public Records Requests
The City Clerk is an appointed officer of the City and is responsible to:
- Serve as the Election Official, and conducting City elections in compliance with the election laws of California;
- Monitor compliance with State and local campaign finance and conflict of interest laws, serve as the Filing Official and maintain Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) filings and logs;
- Preparation of the City Council and related subcommittees agenda packets and reports;
- Produce and maintain the official record of the City Council, Successor Agency to the Former Redevelopment Agency of the City of Pinole, the Oversight Board, and the Council Finance Subcommittee;
- Respond to Public Records requests and maximize public access to municipal government, as the official custodian and records manager of the City;
- Maintain a depository of contracts, agreements, and official Council actions; and insures the timely availability of these records to the City Council, public, other agencies and staff;
- Maintain and update the Pinole Municipal Code
- administer liability claims
- administer City board and commission recruitments
The City Clerk’s role is to serve as the elections official, legislative administrator and records manager for the City in an efficient, professional and friendly manner; to provide outstanding support to the Council; and to serve the citizens of Pinole as an accessible and responsive representative of transparent and open government.
The City Clerk is the City Elections Official and is responsible for administering the City’s general municipal elections and special elections for both candidates and measures; and processing petitions relating to initiatives, recalls and referendums.
Pinole City Council Members are elected at large, and serve staggered four-year terms.
The City of Pinole consolidates its General Municipal Election with the statewide and presidential elections held in even-numbered years. The next Regular Municipal Election will be held November 6, 2018.
Mayor and Mayor Pro Tem appointments are made annually at the Council's Reorganization meeting on the first Tuesday of December for a one-year term.
Mayor Timothy J. Banuelos (Term expires November 2018)
Mayor Pro Tem Peter Murray (Term expires November 2020)
Councilmember Debbie Long (Term expires November 2018)
Councilmember Roy Swearingen (Term expires November 2020)
Councilmember Maureen Toms (Term expires November 2018)
The Contra Costa County Elections Division provides on-line information about voter registration, election schedules,candidate guides, vote by mail, voter turnout, and election results. Click here
Californians must be registered to vote at least 15 days before an Election date. Register to Vote with the Contra Costa County Elections Division by clicking here or visit the California Secretary of State website here. Registration forms are also available at any Department of Vehicles office, most post offices, public libraries and at Pinole City Hall.
Registration is permanent and a new affidavit of registration need only be executed if you have changed your name, address or wish to change your political party affiliation.
You are eligible to register to vote if you are:
- A United States citizen
- A resident of Contra Costa County
- 18 years of age or older on Election Day
- Not in prison, or on parole, serving state prison sentence in a county jail, or serving sentence for a felony
- Not found to be mentally incompetent by a court of law
Interested in Running for Office
To hold an elected office in the City: the person must be:
(1) 18 years of age by Election Day;
(2) a citizen of Pinole and a registered voter of the City when nomination papers are issued to the person or at the time of the person's appointment, and qualified to vote for the office; and
(3) Eligible to take the Oath of Office.
CITY OF PINOLE PROPOSED BALLOT MEASURE: REPEAL OF CITY COUNCIL TERM LIMITS
To be submitted to the voters on June 5, 2018 Primary Election
City of Pinole: Measure P - Shall the City's ordinance limiting the number of successive terms of members of the Pinole City Council be eliminated? A "yes" vote will eliminate the City's existing term limits for Council members. A "no" vote will keep the City's existing term limits for Council members in effect.
IMPARTIAL ANALYSIS OF PROPOSED MEASURE:
Please click on this link to review the Impartial Analysis
ARGUMENTS IN FAVOR OF AND AGAINST MEASURE AND REBUTTALS
Argument in FAVOR of Measure: Primary Argument in Favor of Measure
REBUTTAL to Argument in FAVOR of Measure: Rebuttal to Argument
Argument AGAINST Measure: Primary Argument Against Measure
REBUTTAL to Argument AGAINST Measure: Rebuttal to Argument Against Measure
Should you have any questions please contact City Clerk, Rosa G. Acosta at (510) 724-8928 or City Attorney, Eric Casher at (510) 808-2000.
The City Clerk is the filing official for the Campaign Financial Disclosure Statements and Statements of Economic Interests, as required by State law. Form 700 -Statements of Economic Interest forms are available on the FPPC website at www.fppc.ca.gov.
The City Council Members listed below, the City Treasurer, Planning Commissioners, the City Manager and the City Attorney are positions dentified in Government Code Section 87200, and file statements of economic interests with the City Clerk's office.
Dina M. Rosales (Treasurer)
Copies of the statements of economic interests filed by the above elected officers may be obtained by visiting the offices of the Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) or the City Clerk. The physical address of the FPPC is 428 J Street, Suite 620, Sacramento, California 95814. The physical address of the City Clerk's office is 2131 Pear Street, Pinole CA 94564. The statements of economic interests for some state and local government agency elected officers may be available in electronic format on the FPPC's website at http://www.fppc.ca.gov
Refer to the Form 700 link below to view the current year filings:
Form 700s (Calendar Year 2016 Annual filings) by Pinole office holders, Planning Commissioners, City Manager and City Attorney are available for review in this link.
Campaign Financial Disclosure Statements, filed semi-annually and during the pre-election periods may be viewed at the City Clerk's Office during regular business hours. Click here to review Form 460's* filed for the period of July 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017.
There are two Pre-Election filing periods for candidates during the election cycle, which occur in even number years. Attached are the links from the prior election.
* Revised 8/2016. The addresses of private citizens have been redacted to insure privacy provisions when posted on the web. Campaign contribution forms are public record and are available, unredacted, for review during business hours in the City Clerk's Office. Copies are available upon request; the copying charge is ten cents per page.
The FPPC regulations require that any time a public agency receives a gift, a report must be filed on the agency's website. The Form 801 is for use by all state and local government agencies to disclose payments which result in a gift to the agency. The payments must be used for official agency business and must meet other requirements as set forth by the California Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC).
- Form 801 Postings
This form is used to report additional compensation that officials receive when appointing themselves to positions on committees, boards or commissions of a public agency, special district, and joint powers agency or authority. (FPPC Regulation 18705.5, amended 03.2012). Each agency must post on its website a single Form 806 which lists all the paid appointed positions.
The California Public Records Act (GC § 6250-6270) provides the public the right to obtain or access public records held by public agencies in the State. The goal of the City Clerk's Department is to provide the public with quick and easy access to public information and records. Public records are open to inspection during regular City business hours, and interested persons may request and pay for a copy of any identifiable public record that are not exempted by statute. The City of Pinole encourages public record requests to be in writing in order to assist in providing the requestor with the an accurate and timely response.
Complete the online Public Records Request form by clicking here. Please file the form with the City Clerk's Office either in person, by mail or email to email@example.com or fax to 510-724-9826.
Many of the City of Pinole documents are available on this website. The City also has a public kiosk at City Hall which houses
- Agendas and Minutes
- Council Agenda Reports
It is not always practicable to provide an immediate copy for review or duplication; therefore you will be notified within 10 days when the record(s) may be available. There are certain records that are exempted by statute (see GC 6254). Common exemptions include, but are not limited to preliminary drafts, records relating to pending lititation, attorney-client communications, personnel records, medical records of which would constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy.
If you believe that the City of Pinole or its employee(s) has caused damage to you, your personal property or real property, you have the right to file a claim against the city for damages. Claim forms are available at City Hall through the City Clerk's Office during normal business hours or by clicking here. Claims take approximately 45 days to process. Please follow the instructions on the claim form and attach any documentation (e.g. photographs, reports, witness statements or estimates) that you feel may support your claim. You may mail or personally deliver a claim form to:
Pinole City Clerk’s Office
2131 Pear Street, 2nd Floor
Pinole, CA 94564
Please complete the form in its entirety or risk having it returned to you as insufficient.
If you need additional information regarding the filing of a claim, please contact the Rosa G. Acosta, City Clerk at (510) 724-8928. Please note that the City does not provide legal advice.
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS