The police department was created to provide services directed toward the enhancement and maintenance of Public Safety in the community. The Police Mission is implemented through the following Goals:
- Prevent and control conduct widely recognized as threatening to life and property
- Aid individuals who are in danger of physical harm
- Protect constitutional guarantees
- Facilitate the movement of people and vehicles
- Assist those who cannot care for themselves
- Resolve conflict, whether among individuals, groups or individuals and government entities
- Identify problems that have the potential for becoming intrusions in the community
- Create and maintain a feeling of security in the community
- Develop and implement strategies and programs which enhance delivery of police service in the community
LAW ENFORCEMENT CODE OF ETHICS
As a Law Enforcement Officer, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind; to safeguard lives and property; to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the Constitutional Rights of all men to liberty, equality and justice.
I will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all; maintain courageous calm in the face of danger, scorn, or ridicule; develop self-restraint; and be constantly mindful of the welfare of others. Honest in thought and deed in both my personal and official life. I will be exemplary in obeying the laws of the land and the regulations of my department. Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or that is confided to me in my official capacity will be kept ever secret unless revelation is necessary in the performance of my duty.
I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, animosities, or friendships to influence my decisions. With no compromise for crime and with relentless prosecution of criminals, I will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without fear or favor, malice or violence and never accepting gratuities.
I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the police service. I will constantly strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself before God to my chosen profession . . . law enforcement.